Dental ImplantsAn Overview
Fallston dentist Dr. Melissa Elliott offers dental implants for patients seeking a long-term permanent restoration for the treatment of missing teeth. Dental implants are used to restore function, health and beauty to your smile. Properly placed dental implants will look and feel like your natural teeth, and last for many years.
Dental implants are commonly used to replace a single missing tooth. Dental implants may also be used to anchor a dental bridge that will replace multiple teeth, as well as to support dentures so that they are held firmly in place and won’t slip or move around when you talk or chew.
Dental implants are made up of three parts:
- a titanium post, which is surgically placed into your jaw bone to replace the tooth root;
- a titanium abutment or container, which sits just below the gum line and will anchor your new tooth crown;
- and a ceramic crown, which is made of durable, tooth-colored material and looks and feels like your own natural tooth.
Dental Implants What to Expect
Whether you are missing one tooth, or all of your teeth, dental implants can provide a natural and durable solution to missing teeth. A dental implant is the closest substitute to a natural tooth. When properly placed, the dental implant will fuse to the bone and make itself a natural part of your jaw. Implants are a permanent restoration so you can expect to eat, smile, talk and brush normally.
Dr. Elliott will work with a local specialist to determine if you are a candidate for dental implants, depending on your oral health and bone structure. We will refer you to a local oral surgeon or periodontist for the surgical phase of the implant process.
The type of implants you receive will be determined by the number and location of your missing teeth. Dr. Elliott will recommend dental implants to help support the foundation of your oral health and for long term, natural looking and durable results.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- A dental implant will give you superior function. Dental implants or implant-supported dentures will allow you to chew normally, while removable dentures will only allow you to put 5% or 10% of the amount of pressure on them that you might normally use when you eat.
- A dental implant is long-lasting. Dental implants have a documented success rate of more than 97%, and will last you for many, many years, far beyond the life span of a bridge or denture.
- A dental implant preserves your remaining teeth. You don’t need to cut down adjacent teeth, or use them to support your replacement tooth. They won’t drift or move, because the implant is supported just like a regular tooth.
Schedule A Consultation
For quality treatment of missing teeth using Dental Implants, contact Lazer & Associates for a consultation. Our dentist office is conveniently located at 1810 Bel Air Road in Fallston, Maryland. We serve patients in the Fallston and Bel Air area. We gladly welcome new patients. Call 410-994-2627 for an appointment or more information or request an appointment online.