Dr. Melissa Elliott is a talented and caring dentist located in Fallston, MD. She offers dental implants to her patients that suffer from missing or damaged teeth. Even though there are many options available, she will recommend teeth implants because they are the number one tooth replacement option. They are better for your health and are the most natural solution. If you are considering an implant supported prosthesis to replace your teeth, it is important to understand the process so that you can make an informed decision.
The Dental Implant Process
- Examination– At your first appointment, Dr. Elliott will thoroughly examine your mouth, teeth, gums and overall health. She will also look at your entire medical history. To qualify for dental implants, you must be in good overall health, not use tobacco or be willing to quit, have healthy teeth and gums and enough bone to properly support the implants. Dr. Elliott will work with a local specialist to form a customized treatment plan for you.
- Surgical Implantation– Dr. Elliott works with top local oral surgeons and periodontists for the surgical phase of the implant process. The implants will be surgically placed in the jaw along the arch during simple surgical procedure while under local anesthesia. For a single implant, the procedure should only last about one hour. It will take two to three hours for multiple dental implants to be placed.
- Healing Phase– After surgery, it is important to keep the site clean and maintain a healthy diet. Also, keep up with all your follow-up appointments to make sure you are healing well. The implant posts will need about three to six months to fully fuse with the contiguous bone. This process, known as osseointegration, is a very important part in the success of your implants. This strong bond between bone and implant post is what makes a dental restoration extremely stable and durable.
- Placing the Abutment– Once the implant is fully integrated with the bone, a small piece called an abutment is then attached. Impressions of your teeth will be taken and used to fabricate your new dental restoration.
- Placing the Dental Restoration– Dr. Elliott will attach your permanent dental restoration at the last appointment. This can be a dental crown if you are missing one tooth. A denture or dental bridge will be used if you are missing multiple teeth.
How do you care for your new teeth implants?
To care for your implant supported restoration, simply follow your normal daily oral hygiene routine. You should brush your teeth a few times a day and floss at least once a day. If specific cleaning instructions are required, Dr. Elliott will inform you. If you care for your teeth implants properly, they should last a lifetime.
Schedule a Dental Implant Consultation
To learn more about the dental implant process, schedule an appointment with Fallston, MD dentist, Dr. Melissa Elliott. You can reach her office at (410) 994-2627 or you can request an appointment online. The implant process is now a routine treatment that offers a high success rate. Teeth implants offer a permanent solution for tooth loss, promotes healthy gums, prevents bone loss, and improves overall health.