Fallston dentist Dr. Kimberly Comeau offers dental implants for patients seeking a long-term permanent restoration for the treatment of missing teeth. Dentists use dental implants to restore function, health, and beauty to your smile. Properly placed dental implants will look and feel like your natural teeth, and last for many years.
A dental implant will replace a single missing tooth. Multiple dental implants can also anchor a dental bridge that will replace multiple teeth, as well as support dentures so that they are held firmly in place and won’t slip or move around when you talk or chew.
Dental implants are made up of three parts:
- The first component is a titanium post. This implant fixture must be surgically placed into your jaw bone by a dentist. It replaces the tooth root and will secure a dental restoration.
- The second component is a titanium abutment or container. It will sit just below the line. It is responsible for anchoring your new tooth crown.
- The last component is the portion that will replace the missing teeth. This will be a ceramic crown is you are missing one tooth. Or it will be a dental bridge or denture if you are missing multiple teeth. Our dental restorations are made of durable, tooth-colored material that will look and feel like natural teeth.
About Dental Implants
Whether you are missing one tooth, or all of your teeth, dental implants can provide a natural and durable solution to missing teeth. A dental implant is the closest substitute to a natural tooth.
When properly placed, it will fuse to the bone and make itself a natural part of your jaw. Implants are a permanent restoration so you can expect to eat, smile, talk and brush normally.
Dr. Comeau will work with a local specialist to determine if you are a candidate for dental implants, depending on your oral health and bone structure. We will refer you to a local oral surgeon or periodontist for the surgical phase of the implant process.
The type of implants you need depends on the number and location of your missing teeth. Dr. Comeau will recommend dental implants to help support the foundation of your oral health and for long term, natural looking results.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- A dental implant will give you superior function. Dental implants or implant-supported dentures will allow you to chew normally, while removable dentures will only allow you to put 5% or 10% of the amount of pressure on them that you might normally use when you eat.
- A dental implant is long-lasting. They have a documented success rate of more than 97% and will last you for many, many years, far beyond the life span of a bridge or denture.
- A dental implant preserves your remaining teeth. You don’t need to cut down adjacent teeth or use them to support your replacement tooth. They will not shift or move since the implant has enough support just like a regular tooth.
Schedule A Dental Exam Today
Contact Harford County Dentistry for quality dental implants treatment near you. Our dental office serves patients near Fallston, Bel Air, and surrounding communities. Call our practice today at 410-994-2627 or request an appointment online.